After earning just two points in three games last week, Erik Karlsson hopes to rebound on Canada's west coast starting with tonight's game in Edmonton. Karlsson has fallen two points behind Jamie Benn for second place in the NHL scoring race and is tied with Tyler Seguin in third place.
Meanwhile the Senators will bring Chris Wideman into the lineup and Patrick Wiercioch will be a healthy scratch. Mark Borowiecki hilariously continues to remain a fixture in the lineup. Shane Prince will be the other scratch and Craig Anderson starts in net. Here are the lines and pairings.
Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Dzingel - Zibanejad - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Chiasson
Paul - Lazar - Neil
Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Borowiecki - Wideman
Some notes for tonight:
- Erik Karlsson hasn't scored a goal in his last 10 games. He has 13 assists and 39 shots in that span. Karlsson needs 18 assists in 22 games to break Jason Spezza's club record of assists in a season.
- Mark Borowiecki had some hilarious comments on Erik Karlsson. Comical really. Great guy.
- Mike Hoffman has been without a point in his last four games. Bobby Ryan has just one point in his last seven games. Kyle Turris doesn't have a point in his last 12 games. Mark Stone has just one point in his last four games.
- Ottawa has scored just six goals on the opposition goaltender during the three-game winning streak, but has managed to win all three due to excellent goaltending and two shootout wins.
- This is the first time Ottawa has won three in a row since winning a season high four in a row from 19 November to 25 November.
- Connor McDavid has 15 points in 10 games since returning from injury.
- Mike Hoffman has four goals in four games against Edmonton over his career.
- Karlsson has played 30:38 or more in each of his last six games.
- The closest playoff team to Ottawa in terms of points per game are the Detroit Red Wings, who are seven points ahead. Both teams have 22 games remaining.
- Tonight ends a run of six straight games at home for the Oilers. They have lost the last four including the last three in regulation.
Here are some stats for the two teams tonight. All stats are from NHL.com except Corsi and Fenwick are from www.puckon.net. Note that Corsi is now adjusted for score as well as the venue and event type.
|Goals||Mike Hoffman||24||Taylor Hall||20|
|Assists||Erik Karlsson||54||Taylor Hall||32|
|Points||Erik Karlsson||65||Taylor Hall||52|
|Shots||Erik Karlsson||184||Taylor Hall||216|
|Average Ice time||Erik Karlsson||29:08||Oscar Klefbom||21:53|
|Event, Score and venue adjusted Corsi %||47.2%||23rd||47.3%||22nd|
|Event, Score and venue adjusted Fenwick %||46.6%||27th||46.7%||26th|