The Ottawa Senators will finish off their four game road trip with this afternoon's game at the Anaheim Ducks. The Senators played pretty well for the most part in yesterday's 4-1 loss in Los Angeles and will be looking to finish 2-2 on the trip. The Ducks have won two in a row since losing 8-3 in Calgary last Sunday.
As it is a back-to-back game, there will be no morning skate but Andrew Hammond will likely make his first start since getting injured against Calgary on 28 October. Here is the likely team for today assuming Mark Borowiecki gets suspended for his hit yesterday.
Hoffman - Brassard - Stone
Dzingel - Turris - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Pyatt
Robinson - Kelly - Neil
Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Englund - Wideman
Some notes for tonight:
- Aside from digging themselves a 2-0 hole because Borowiecki was being a liability as usual, the Senators actually played quite well.
- The Senators three main players in Erik Karlsson, Mike Hoffman and Mark Stone were all held off the scoreboard yesterday. The Ducks have allowed 15 goals in the last three games, so hopefully that continues today.
- Our good friend Jakob Silfverberg is having a solid start to the season with 19 points in 28 games.
- Rickard Rakell has had a very hot start since returning to the lineup with 11 goals in the first 17 games. Although that is aided with a shooting percentage of 23.4.
- Ryan Dzingel does not have a shot on goal in the last four games.
- Cody Ceci had 5 out of Ottawa's 20 shots yesterday. With the Kings having 19 shots, it was one of the rare games where neither team got more than 20 shots.
- With Boston and Tampa Bay both losing in regulation last night, the Senators did not lose any ground and remain in second place in the division.
- Zack Smith's goal was his first since 11 November.
- Despite the four game road trip, Ottawa will still have played 16 out of 29 games at home after this game.
- Karlsson was held without a shot on goal for the first time since 30 October. He had scored a goal in the three previous games.
Here are some stats for the two teams tonight. All stats are from NHL.com except Corsi and Fenwick are from www.puckon.net.
|Goals||Kyle Turris||11||Ryan Kesel||12|
|Points||Erik Karlsson||27||Ryan Kesler||24|
|Shots||Mike Hoffman||82||Corey Perry||85|
|Average Ice time||Erik Karlsson||27:09||Cam Fowler||23:57|
|Event, Score and venue adjusted Corsi %||46.1%||27th||49.7%||18th|
|Event, Score and venue adjusted Fenwick %||46.7%||23rd||49.6%||17th|