After picking up a huge four points from a pair of back-to-back games, Erik Karlsson will look to make it six points from three games when he plays the New York Rangers tonight. Things are a bit more bleak for his minions though as the Ottawa Senators will look to avoid a third straight defeat this afternoon.
The Senators are still expected to be without Kyle Turris and Marc Methot but Alex Chiasson should return for the injured Milan Michalek. Craig Anderson will start. Here are the lines from Brent Wallace.
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
Puempel - Pageau - Stone
Chiasson - Smith - Lazar
Prince - McCormick - Neil
Borowiecki - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Cowen - Wideman
Some notes for today:
- Karlsson is on pace for 17 goals and 70 assists for 87 points this season. He looks to be set to be cruising towards breaking his own club record of 59 assists by a defenceman in a season needing 19 more in the final 34 games. Getting 31 assists in the final 34 games will break the club record for assists by any skater.
- Karlsson has a lot of secondary assists, but he also leads all defencemen with 21 primary assists.
- In addition to allowing the most shots in the league, the Senators are also near the bottom in save percentage from their goaltenders. That has the predictable combination of the team being second last in goals allowed per game.
- Mark Stone has no points in his last six games and just two in the last 12 games.
- Karlsson has averaged 30:37 of ice time over the last 23 games.
- Mika Zibanejad's point streak is now at four games, totalling two goals and three assists in that span. Zibanejad is on pace to hit 50 points in 81 games this season, which would continue the trend of Zibanejad having more points every season compared to the previous one.
- On Thursday night the Senators had a chance to move into a playoff spot. They go into the game today five points back of a playoff spot. The Senators currently sit in the 10th overall pick slot.
- Mike Hoffman does not have an assist since 27 December. He has had 10 shots on goal in the last two games though.
Here are some stats for the two teams tonight. All stats are from NHL.com except Corsi and Fenwick are from www.puckon.net. Note that Corsi is now adjusted for score as well as the venue and event type.
|Goals||Mike Hoffman||21||Mats Zuccarello||17|
|Assists||Erik Karlsson||41||Keith Yandle||22|
|Points||Erik Karlsson||51||Mats Zuccarello||34|
|Shots||Erik Karlsson||132||Rick Nash||149|
|Average Ice time||Erik Karlsson||28:48||Ryan McDonagh||23:01|
|Event, Score and venue adjusted Corsi %||46.1%||27th||50.1%||17th|
|Event, Score and venue adjusted Fenwick %||45.6%||29th||51.3%||9th|