On Monday, July 6th, the Ottawa Senators unveiled their 25th anniversary logo:
Response was... let's say it was tepid.
Is there a single fan above 10 years of age in Ottawa who likes the current @Senators logo?— Ryan Classic (@ryanclassic) July 6, 2015
Facebook comments in reply to Ottawa's 25th anniversary logo: 66% insults 22% asking to switch to O or 90s logo 3% positive 10% nonsense— Bonk's Mullet (@BonksMullet) July 7, 2015
hoffman: 'i want $2.5 million' sens: *holds up anniversary logo* hoffman: 'i want $918 million'— phil (@sixesandevans) July 6, 2015
@McLlwainsWorld It looks like that thing that happens when the printer is running low on ink.— Mike Wheeler (@TheMikeWheeler) July 6, 2015
Here are some of the lowlights of that logo:
- The fake metallic sheen has been overused by the stadium series jerseys. Still, the Sens one manages to look far worse than the ones before it.
- Roman numerals? Like the Superbowl?
- Check out the alignment: the shading in the V starts a couple millimetres below the Xs. The hyphen in 1992-2017 doesn't line up will the middle X or the S in Senators.
I could keep going. However, I come from a family where the rule was that you couldn't criticize someone's choice of restaurant, board game, or movie, unless you had an alternative. My artistic abilities are approximately zero, so us here at Silver Seven are opening it up to all of you! Please submit your alternative designs for the 25th anniversary logo in our own contest!
- All submissions must be received by Sunday, July 19th at 11:59 P.M. Eastern Standard Time.
- Send your submissions to my email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Please have your design submission as an attachment to your email (any picture format works). Please also include the name you would like published on the website alongside your picture if you are chosen as a finalist.
- Designs must say Ottawa Senators and make it clear that they have something to do with the 25th anniversary of the team.
- Approximately five finalists will be chosen by the Silver Seven staff from all submissions received. The winner will then be chosen from the finalists by a community vote over Facebook, Twitter, and Silver Seven.
- The winner will receive a hat or T-shirt of their choice from shop.nhl.com
- There are no restrictions on the shape or size of the design, but use common sense. Remember the design is supposed to be a shoulder patch on jerseys for the 2016-17 season.
- Other obvious statements: don't use copyrighted designs the Sens won't have access to, and keep the designs family-friendly
- You can submit as many designs as you want!
- Non-Sens fans are welcome to submit designs too!
So get those pencils a-drawing and those mice a-clicking! And stay tuned for July 22nd when the finalists are announced!