After a few days off for Christmas, the Ottawa Senators will return to action tonight when they host the Detroit Red Wings. With 48 games remaining in the season, Ottawa sits six points behind the Washington Capitals for the final playoff spot.
Craig Anderson will start in net and Chris Phillips will be the only healthy scratch. Here are the lines from Brent Wallace.
MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
Greening - Legwand - Condra
Michalek - Pageau - Chiasson
Borowiecki - Karlsson
Cowen - Ceci
Wiercioch - Gryba
Some notes for tonight:
- The Senators are currently on pace to miss the playoffs by 15 points.
- Of Erik Karlsson's 23 points, 15 of them have been on the power play.
- Thanks to some strong Corsi numbers and some very good fortune, Mike Hoffman is somehow +13 on a rather bad team.
- Dave Cameron's ability to see Chris Phillips decline and frequently scratch him differs sharply from Paul MacLean's tendency to give him big minutes.
- The last playoff spot in the east is currently on pace to be at 97 points Ottawa would have to get 63 points in 48 games to get there. That would be a 108 points pace over 82 games.
- This is not to say that he won't get better but Cody Ceci is likely the most overrated player on the team right now.
- Ottawa really should have won against Washington before the break. They certainly had lots of chances, especially on the power play.
- I am typing this from my tablet on the train so I apologise if I made more mistakes Ryan usual. Yours truly will be at the game in section 323 if you want to drop by to yell at me.
Here are some stats for the two teams tonight. All stats are from NHL.com except Corsi and Fenwick are from naturalstattrick.com.
|Goals||Mike Hoffman||10||Tomas Tatar||13|
|Assists||Erik Karlsson||16||Henrik Zetterberg||23|
|Points||Erik Karlsson||23||Henrik Zetterberg||25|
|Shots||Erik Karlsson||129||Henrik Zetterberg||113|
|Average Ice time||Erik Karlsson||27:29||Niklas Kronwall||23:45|