Wednesday, Dec 16, 2009, 7:30 PM EST
Enemy: Die By The Blade
Tonight is not just a battle of Northeast Division teams, it's also the first test for a Jason Spezza-less Ottawa Senators. The Sens are also missing Nick Foligno tonight, who joins Spezza, Pascal Leclaire, Shean Donovan, and Chris Neil on the list of injuries. The Senators won the last meeting between these two teams, but that featured Patrick Lalime in net, not Ryan Miller. Needless to say, if the Sens are to win this game, it'll take every ounce of effort from this roster. So, who will I be watching?
- Milan Michalek, Daniel Alfredsson, Alex Kovalev, Mike Fisher - the four remaining offensive talents have to play to their abilities in the absence of Jason Spezza, and find ways to slip the puck past Miller.
- Peter Regin, Jesse Winchester - Regin and Winnie are getting shots in the top six, with Regin playing left wing with Fisher and Kovalev while Winchester centres Alfredsson and Michalek. Although there's certainly more pressure on Winchester due to his role on the top line, both need to shine tonight.
- Joshua Hennessy - Since coming to the Senators as part of the Havlat deal (along with Tom Preissing and a pick that became Patrick Wiercioch), Hennessy has never really impressed. This may be his last shot with the big club, so he better make the most of it.
- Chris Campoli - I am not expecting much from Campoli as a forward, but it'll be interesting to watch. He hasn't played forward since he was "5 or 6 years old," but claims he had "a good nose for the net" back then, so I'm not concerned.
- Jason Pominville - What? Dude's in my fantasy pool.
As always, feel free to join us in the comments before and after the puck drops.