While there have been a lot of staff changes at Silver Seven in the past few months, we're still trying to expand our Sens coverage for readers. While this season was disappointing, we still have a lot to cover and we need some help to meet our goals!
We're looking for a new Prospect Writer
We're looking for a volunteer to expand Silver Seven's coverage of Ottawa's prospects. This includes Binghamton, the ECHL (if Ottawa gets a team), and junior prospects. We're looking for someone who watches Bingo's games and junior hockey and can write about Ottawa's prospects in an insightful manner.
- Provide a weekly "Prospect Update" primarily featuring the Binghamton Senators. The Bingo update will provide info about games played in the previous week as well as more in-depth analysis of individual players. This update will also include sections for statistical updates and interesting links for any ECHL/NCAA/CHL prospects. It will look something like this.
- A monthly "European Report" about any prospects playing overseas. This will include statistical updates and links of note about any prospects playing in Europe.
- A monthly "Ups and Downs: Bingo Edition". This feature will follow the format of our regular, weekly "Ups and Downs" but will examine Ottawa's AHL players.
- Be a Sens fan. We produce analysis and opinion pieces but ultimately, Silver Seven is a site for Sens fans by Sens fans.
- Be a registered user in good standing. If you haven't registered for S7 that's ok, but please sign-up ASAP. Being a registered user is free and allows you to join other SB Nation blogs. Silver Seven's strength is our community. Readers and commenters make this site what it is and writers are expected to be active in our community. S7 staff members write, comment, and interact with readers in a respectful manner. Site decorum will be considered for all potential candidates.
- Produce quality work. You don't have to be a perfect writer (I'm certainly not), but well-researched, well-sourced, well-written, and respectful work is a must. Hockey opinions of all types are welcomed as long as you back-up your assertions.
How to Apply
1. Answer the following question: why do you want to be a Prospect Writer for Silver Seven?
2. Answer one of the following questions in essay format, no longer than 750 words. Be sure to title your post.
a) The Senators have a collection of young defensemen (Jared Cowen, Patrick Wiercioch, and Mark Borowiecki) on one-way contracts for next season. In addition, Eric Gryba is an RFA and Cody Ceci still has two years remaining on his ELC and can play in Binghamton at a reduced salary. With five players vying for three spots, who makes the team and why?
c) Robin Lehner is an RFA. Craig Anderson has one more year on his contract. Explain in detail what your three-year plan for Ottawa's crease is.
d) Ottawa has relied on veteran leadership in recent years. Daniel Alfredsson and Chris Phillips are well into their thirties; Chris Neil and Jason Spezza are also on the wrong side of thirty. But at various times this season younger players like Kyle Turris and Erik Karlsson filled in as alternates. Because leadership was a hot topic all season long, make a case supporting Ottawa's young leaders.
Please submit both answers as a Word document attachment. In the subject line of the email please put "2014 Silver Seven Prospect Writer Submission - Your Site User Name". For example, if I was submitting a post, the subject line would look like this:
2014 Silver Seven Prospect Writer Submission - Amelia L
Submissions will be accepted until 11:59 pm on May 23, 2014. Submissions will be read by me and other members of the Silver Seven staff. The successful candidate will be informed via email by May 30, 2014. Only the successful candidate will be notified of their application's status.
Send all submissions and questions to email@example.com.