The Ottawa Senators continue their swing through western Canada with the first of back-to-back games in Alberta starting with tonight's game against the Edmonton Oilers. Ottawa is coming off a 4-2 win in the Heritage Classic against the Canucks and sit three points behind the Detroit Red Wings for the final playoff spot.
The big news of the day is that Cory Conacher (along with Joe Corvo) were placed on waivers. The reasoning for this is unclear but Conacher will play tonight in likely his last game for the Senators. It could also be the last game for pending UFA Chris Phillips and Milan Michalek. Here are the lines from Sylvain St-Laurent.
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
Michalek - Spezza - Conacher
MacArthur - Turris - Condra
Greening - Smith - Neil
Methot - Karlsson
Phillips - Ceci
Wiercioch - Gryba
Some notes for tonight:
- Ottawa has to beat Edmonton. You can't lose to Edmonton given the situation right. RIGHT!?
- Erik Karlsson has 16 goals and is four goals away from breaking the club record for goals by a defenceman. Karlsson tied the record in 2011/2012 with 19 goals. An Erik Karlsson hat trick (!!!) will tie the record tonight.
- Mike Hoffman and his entire line has played very well since the Olympic break. No points for Hoffman yet but you have to feel it is coming.
- A pretty mistake free game for Patrick Wiercioch and Eric Gryba in Vancouver. More of the same and the defence can some what stabilise.
- Cory Conacher is 6th among the team's forwards in points and fifth in points/60 on 5-on-5 (ahead of Mika Zibanejad).
- Craig Anderson had a rough start against Vancouver but then settled down for the rest of the game. That was encouraging to see.
- Karlsson leads all NHL defencemen in goals, points, power play points, even strength points. He is also second in assists and shots on goal.
Here are some stats leaders for the two teams tonight.
|Goals||Bobby Ryan||22||David Perron||23|
|Assists||Erik Karlsson||40||Taylor Hall||36|
|Points||Erik Karlsson||56||Taylor Hall||56|
|Shots||Erik Karlsson||193||Taylor Hall||180|
|Average Ice time||Erik Karlsson||27:20||Justin Schultz||23:24|
|Corsi Close %||51.7%||10th||43.6%||28th|
|Fenwick Close %||50.6%||15th||44.0%||28th|