Hey sports fans,
The Sens Money on the Board campaign has taken off faster than J.G. Pageau on a Sunday. In just 8 games, 124 separate donors have donated over $7470 to the Sens Foundation. I'm not going to say that we've proven karma to definitively exist, but since the #SensMotB campaign started, the Sens are 6-2. Now we've got a ton of prizes to give away, and a huge contest on our hands.
I was too busy chanting "Pageau Pageau Pageau", what is #SensMotB?
In case you've been as absent as Jim O'Brien, the Sens Money on the Board campaign raises funds for the Sens Foundation, a local charity run by the Ottawa Senators, aimed at helping youth in the community. Before (or during) each game, fans pledge potential donations based on in-game events. For example, donate $1 for every point by a Swede, or $5 for every Paul MacLean classy timeout.
The Ottawa Citizen wrote up an eloquent piece about yours truly, and it provides a fairly accurate description of the campaign. I know how shocking it is for all of you to see me with pants on, and I apologize for that. But do not fret: TSN's Kate McKenna also did a feature on #Rihannaing this week, if you want to hear my shameful tale of "performing" at the Wells Fargo Center. In case you were wondering, I bear no relation to Brad Doty.
More giveaways than a Spezza drop pass
Thanks to Canada's Flag King, The 613, Kevin Lee, and an anonymous donor, we've got an absurd amount of prizes to give away. Here's a list. Let's just say items 4 through 10 are hilarious and worth more than gold.
- Autographed Daniel Alfredsson hockey card
- $30 value Sens prize pack from Flag King
- The now famous 'The Stache" t-shirt from the613.com
- A slighty-used old-school CCM white Senators jersey signed by Magnus "Best Swedish Senator" Arvedson donated by @Dr_Habs
- A puck signed by David Rundblad
- 10 David "Calder Trophy Lock" Rundblad signed hats
- 10 Alex "don't call me Captain" Picard signed hats
- 10 Jonathan Cheechoo signed hats (Best prize)
- 5 Pascale Leclaire signed hats (No returns accepted)
- 4 Shean "still hasn't tweeted" Donovan signed hats
Call to Arms: #SensMotB Contest
This is essentially a contest in creativity. The idea is to create as much promotional material for #SensMotB as possible. The following categories serve only as guidelines. Note that I'll be giving away more than one prize for each category if the entries are deserving. I encourage as much creativity as possible:
- Best animated GIF: (a) #SensMotB related GIF, or (b) more generally Sens-related GIF (Note: Any GIF submitted must include the #SensMotB hashtag)
- Best Rihannaing photo: Either (a) a real photo or (b) photoshopped. (Note: Any photo submitted must include the #SensMotB hashtag)
- Best Original Sens video or photo: Self-explanatory. (Note: Any photo or video submitted must include the #SensMotB hashtag)
- Best Original Sens Song: Either (a) written or (b) performed.
- Written essay/blog on: (a) What the Sens foundation means to you/the community, (b) What the Sens mean to you, (c) anything Sens related and heartwarming, or (d) anything Sens-related and hilarious. (Note: 300 words max)
- Anything else you can think of. Go crazy.
- Most creative pledge (per game): For each game, the most creative pledge that pans out for every game will earn a hat of their choosing.
- Largest donation (per game): For each game, the largest donation will earn a hat of their choosing. I will also apply this retroactively to the previous games to be fair.
- More to come... Let me know if you have any contest suggestions!