USA TODAY Sports
A preview of the Ottawa Senators game against the New York Rangers on 8 March 2013.
Robin Lehner is going to play tonight at Madison Square Gardens. The opposition might be starting Henrik Lundqvist. Both goaltenders were trained by Michael Lehner and the younger Lehner has known Lundqvist for most of his life. Sounds like a great story right? Well, Lundqvist played last night so John Tortorella might ruin everything and play Martin Biron instead. I suppose it might make things easier for Ottawa.
Here were the lines in practice, Peter Regin appears to be the healthy scratch but apparently it will be a game time decision between him and Kaspars Daugavins.
Michalek - Smith - Alfredsson
Greening - Turris - Silfverberg
Stone - Zibanejad - Neil
Daugavins - O'Brien - Condra
Methot - Wiercioch
Benoit - Gonchar
Phillips - Gryba
Some notes for tonight:
- Thank God we are finally moving Eric Gryba off the first pairing. I am looking forward to Methot-Wiercioch pairing and being capable of occasionally moving the puck into the offensive zone against the opposition's first line.
- OH ROBIN LEHNER! OH ROBIN LEHNER! (sung to the tune of OH ROBIN VAN PERSIE).
- I am not sure which line is considered the 1st, 2nd or 3rd any more. Mika Zibanejad has four goals in seven games, is that the second line and Turris is on the third line? But then Zibanejad is with Stone and Neil. Surely Zack Smith isn't the first line centre right!?
- It looked like Regin was going to be a scratch but then it was changed to a game time decision. Did he go into Paul MacLean's office again?
- With a win Ottawa would move into a tie for fifth with Toronto and steer themselves seven points clear of a playoff spot with Spezza returning in 2-3 weeks. Yeah I'd like a win.
- If Jakob Silfverberg gets a shot on goal tonight, Erik Karlsson will finally stop leading this club in shots on goal. He has missed over 40% of the games. Karlsson is also one goal ahead of Alfredsson, Zibanejad and O'Brien for the goal lead.