The sturggling Ottawa Senators host the Detroit Red Wings as Daniel Alfredsson plays his first game back in Ottawa. The Senators are nine points behind the Red Wings and sit seven points behind Toronto for the last playoff spot. There is still time left, but Ottawa is beginning to full further and further back and need to begin to turn it around very soon. Robin Lehner will start while Patrick Wiercioch will return for Eric Gryba. Jared Cowen will be a healthy scratch again.
Here are the lines from Felix Seguin.
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Michalek - Spezza - Zibanejad
Conacher - Smith - Neil
Greening - Grant - Condra
Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Phillips
Borowiecki - Corvo
Franzen - Zetterberg - Nyquist
Cleary - Weiss - Samuelsson
Abdelkader - Helm - Alfredsson
Andersson - Tatar - Miller
Kronwall - Ericsson
Quincey - Smith
Kindl - Lashoff
Some notes for tonight:
- The Leafs hold the last playoff spot and are on pace for 94 points. To get 95 points, the Senators will need 71 points in 56 games or something like 33-18-5. That is the equivalent of a 104 points pace in 82 games. The Leafs are falling apart though, so maybe the pace could be a little lower.
- Daniel Alfredsson hasn't ruled out returning to play next season...for the Ottawa Senators.
- Jason Spezza has a point in four straight games and is quietly playing better.
- Daniel Alfredsson has 19 points in 22 games or a 71 points pace over 82 games. There is your Milan Michalek replacement for next season.
- The Senators are still allowing a lot of shots, but it is a far cry from the 40 and 50 shots they were allowing earlier in the season. WIth good goaltending, this team is capable of scoring enough to win games.
- Pavel Datsyuk is still injured after being hit in the head by Jared Cowen last week.
Here are some stats leaders for the two teams tonight.
|Goals||Bobby Ryan||13||Pavel Datsyuk||12|
|Assists||Erik Karlsson||19||Henrik Zetterberg||19|
|Points||Erik Karlsson||26||Henrik Zetterberg||30|
|Shots||Jason Spezza||76||Henrik Zetterberg||96|
|Average Ice time||Erik Karlsson||27:45||Niklas Kronwall||23:46|
|Corsi Close %||48.1%||23rd||51.4%||11th|
|Fenwick Close %||46.9%||24th||51.8%||12th|