After starting the season with a 1-0 win in Buffalo, the Senators are right back at it when they visit the 2-0 Toronto Maple Leafs. The Leafs were outplayed in Philadelphia (outshot 32-25 and beaten 73-42 on shot attempts) but managed to escape with a 3-1 win thanks to the strong play of Jonathan Bernier.
The Senators will make two changes to the lineup and neither is very surprising. Joe Corvo will take the place of Eric Gryba who struggled last night. The other change is Stephane Da Costa sitting for Matt Kassian, because the best players play.
Here are the lines from TSN.
Michalek - Spezza - Ryan
MacArthur - Turris - Conacher
Greening - Pageau - Condra
Kassian - Smith - Neil
Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Wiercioch
Phillips - Corvo
van Riemsdyk - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Abbott
Raymond - Bolland - Bodie
Ashton - McClement - Orr
Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Rielly - Franson
Gardiner - Ranger
Some talking points for tonight:
- After an incredible performance in Buffalo last night, Craig Anderson will get the nod again. What does he have for an encore tonight? The Leafs are playing James Reimer, who has frustrated the Senators many times in the past.
- Joe Corvo was underwhelming in the preseason but he gets to make his season debut tonight. I think he will likely do better than Eric Gryba did last night.
- Gryba's absence does make the defensive deployment on the penalty kill a bit interesting. The Senators were shorthanded for 6:17 last night which means they had 12:34 of penalty kill time to give to their defencemen. That 12:34 was split as follows: Chris Phillips (4:06), Marc Methot (3:14), Eric Gryba (2:53), Jared Cowen (1:30), Patrick Wiercioch (00:29) and Erik Karlsson (00:22). Cowen should eat up most of the difference, but one of the other three might have to pick up the slack as well.
- Clarke MacArthur was absolutely fantastic last night. His line had plenty of chances all night, spent the majority of the night in the offensive zone and MacArthur set up the winning goal. He gets to play against the team that scratched him in the playoffs. MacArthur talked about Randy Carlyle this morning and he wasn't very complimentary.
- The second pairing of Cowen and Wiercioch had a solid if not spectacular game against Buffalo. They will be tested a lot more against the Leafs given the strength of their top six. Should be a good test.
- The top line had plenty of opportunities and odd man rushes but couldn't score. Hopefully they get better luck tonight.
- Yours truly will be in the corner on the right side of the net the Senators defend in the first period. It's row 28 but maybe I will show up on TV!
|Goals||Erik Karlsson||1||Dave Bolland||2|
|Assists||Clarke MacArthur||1||Joffrey Lupul||2|
|Points||Erik Karlsson||1||Dave Bolland||2|
|Shots||Jason Spezza||7||Phil Kessel||11|
|Average Ice time||Erik Karlsson||25:59||Dion Phaneuf||26:46|