There are always teams who just won't leave well enough alone. They need to redesign not just their jersey, but their logo. Some teams just refine what they already had and the logo evolves over the years. But other teams go all out, a completely new logo. Completely changing the image that has represented them for years, maybe decades.
But not always! Going back to the old logo after a major redesign is usually very popular, but there have been some new designs that I've liked a lot more than what they replaced.
You might consider the current Tampa Bay logo to be a refinement or an evolution of what they had previously, but I would say there are enough differences while still maintaining the same theme. There seems to be some debate over if it's actually an improvement, but I think it is.
Another open to some debate about the quality is the Kings logo. I definitely think the current shield is a big improvement over the crown, but it might just be out of nostalgia for their first major redesign.
So have there been any new logo designs (not returns to old logos) that you have liked more than what they replaced?
- Recaps galore! [S7S] [Bonk's Mullet] [Senators Extra] [NHL] [TSN]
- Not as much red as you might expect in this week's Ups and Downs [S7S]
- Jeremy Milks thinks the Sens are playing small [Black Aces]
- Amelia takes a look at Ottawa's lacklustre attendance so far this season [S7S]
- The 6th Sens preach patience on the early season woes [6th Sens]
- Both players sent to Anaheim in the Bobby Ryan trade are now injured [Senators Extra]
- Thomas Vanek is now an Islander - just in time to make this week a little tougher for the Sens [TSN]
- The folks at Die by the Blade seem to be pretty happy with the return for Vanek, though many were sad to see him go [Die by the Blade]
- Lighthouse Hockey isn't so sure - some say good trade, some say bad trade, and a lot are saying they have to wait and see if Vanek re-signs [Lighthouse Hockey]
- Lindy Ruff makes his first return to Buffalo after being fired last season. His current team isn't doing so hot, but they're doing better than the Sabres... [Sportsnet]
- The Rangers finally have their home opener [NHL.com]
- Pekka Rinne has a serious hip infection [Sportsnet]
- Speaking of logos, the Flames revealed their (previously leaked) 3rd jersey [Flames]