Thank goodness they didn't trade this guy
I truly believe that even in defeat, in 2007, Daniel Alfredsson deserved the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP. Call me biased if you want, but I think he should have. He led the playoffs in points, he had carried the team on his back at times, and of course scored the goal that sent the Sens to the finals. Not only that, but the Ducks were a "by committee" kind of team, and they didn't really have a single player very deserving of the honour.
I think that the player who has played the best in the playoffs, and helped his team to the finals and during them, ought to win the Conn Smythe regardless of the Stanley Cup winner. With that in mind, its important to consider players from both sides. Now, I know that performance IN the Finals is very important, but you can get an idea of what players are truly in contention.
- In case you missed it this morning, Amelia continued her lovely new Senators number series by looking at the history of the number 3! [SSS]
- The always excellent Nichols looks at something the mainstream media and our own commenters have recently been talking about, namely bringing back Chris Kelly. I am with Graeme on this one, I think we have a cheaper replacement in Zack Smith and I would like to see him grow instead of signing Kelly to a big contract. [6thSens]
- The Senators have signed a prospect I am very excited about, Jean-Gabriel Pageau, to his ELC and have apparently made qualifying offers to many of their RFA's. I saw Pageau at last year's development camp and he just has lovely skill. After watching a player like Danny Briere be so successful in this league, one can dream of Pageau becoming a player like Briere.
- Kyle Turris and his old roommate Patrick Wiercioch got a chance to drive some monster trucks yesterday. Both are in town bulking up over the summer and I for one am very excited to see the results. [Sun]
- Here's a great story on Wiercioch, and the terrifying injury he suffered this season. Here's hoping he can rebound and take a step forward in his development this season. [SensExtra]
- Excellent news on the Alfie front as the captain says he plans on beginning his training program next week. [Sun]
- Here is a story about a fan petition that was circulated and signed by many fans who want Alfie to keep playing. As much as he was flattered, it obviously will not affect his decision. [SensExtra]
- Here is the link to the article mentioned above the jump about potential candidates for the Conn Smythe. [Globe]
- In what I judge to be a silly move, the Vancouver Canucks announced that they have resigned head coach Alain Vingeault to a 2-year extension. This is a team that is in obvious need of a shake up that is choosing the status quo. [Post]
- Speaking of Canuck shake ups, ever since AV sat Roberto Luongo for the important games in round 1, people have been pencilling Roberto into the Tampa Bay Lightning's depth chat. Not so fast, says Stevie Y. [Puck Daddy]
- Plenty of talk of guarantees and old history in the last few days. With the Devils ready to close out their series with the New York Rangers, they are not thinking of 1994. [PuckDaddy]
Who is the favourite for the Conn Smythe Trophy as of right now?
Dustin Brown (108 votes)
Henrik Lundqvist (23 votes)
Ilya Kovalchuk (20 votes)
Zach Parise (16 votes)
Other (please specify in comments!) (32 votes)
199 total votes