Have you ever heard of Bob Kudelski? He may have only played 90 games for the Ottawa Senators, but he made an understated impact while on the team.
The Ottawa Senators paid a hefty price to acquire Bob Kudelski, but it was worth it to bring in the first legitimate goal-scoring threat in franchise history.
Okay, it wasn't even that hefty a price: Ottawa managed to swing a deal with the Los Angeles Kings and bring Kudelski into the fold (along with Shawn McCosh) mid-way through their inaugural season in exchange for Marc Fortier and Jim Thomson, neither of whom had particularly long NHL careers.
Kudelski may have only scored 21G in his first season in Ottawa, but that was in just 48GP with the Sens--over a full season, that goal scoring pace would have put him at nearly 37 goals. That's well behind the 76 goals co-league leaders Teemu Selanne and Alexander Mogilny had that season, but it remains pretty decent (especially considering the support he received with the Sens). Kudelski also scored the first hat trick in Ottawa Senators history.
For some mysterious reason (probably an attempt to solidify the prospect cupboard), the Sens traded Kudelski to the Florida Panthers for Evgeny Davydov, Scott Levins, and two fourth-round draft choices just 13 months after he was acquired. In his short 90-game stint with Ottawa, Kudelski scored 47G and 29A for 76P. His 0.84 points-per-game average remains tied with Marian Hossa for fifth place in franchise history, behind only Dany Heatley (1.14), Jason Spezza (1.02), Alexei Yashin (0.97), and Daniel Alfredsson (0.96). He's second in franchise history in terms of goals-per-game with 0.52, behind only Heatley (0.57).
Do you remember anything from Kudelski's time with the Sens?
- The B-Sens' roster is over-sized with 29 bodies remaining, but that's because Stephane Da Costa (weak legs?), Shane Prince (some injury), and Patrick Wiercioch ("ginger foot," whatever that is) are dealing with ailments. (PSB)
- Bingo's season starts on Saturday night. (Channel 34)
- Solid feature on Robin Lehner's time with the B-Sens so far. (Elmira Star-Gazette)
- Elmira will kick off their regular season on Friday. (Jackals)
- Awesome Rappelswil-Jona Lakers Jason Spezza t-shirt. (Sens Extra)
Gotham City Police CommissionerOttawa Citizen Sports Editor James Gordon argues that we have the power in the current lockout. Could have fooled me... I certainly don't feel like I have much power right now; if I did, a lockout wouldn't have happened in the first place. (Sens Extra)
- Check out the HNIC 'Your Pick' hub once in a while, they're asking us to vote on which 'classic' games they play in place of actual live NHL action. (HNIC)
- A bunch of nonsensical fan campaigns to end the lockout. My thinking: Fan initiatives won't come close to ending the lockout, but they might end up making the NHL regret it if fans actually decide to stay away from the game when it returns. (Puck Daddy)
- More crap about Fehr re-opening the salary cap debate during CBA negotiations. (Puck Daddy)