Greetings nugget readers, I have returned! Before I get to the links, I want to mention that Canada lost Jack Layton today, the Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition. Rest in peace, Jack.
Here are today's links:
- Should Mika Zibanejad play in Ottawa this year? Here is a list of pros and cons. Some of the pros include playing with Daniel Alfredsson, as well as Zibanejad being physically strong enough and skilled enough to play in the NHL. The cons mentioned are his limited professional experience and him missing out on playing in the U20 World Championships. (Senshot)
- Can Erik Karlsson (or Sergei Gonchar) break the Senators record for points by a defenceman? The record is 63 points by Norm MacIver. Nichols believes Karlsson will eventually do it, but will need a lot of help if he is to do it this season. (The 6th Sens)
- Another Senators preview, this time from a website run by sometimes Silver Seven commenter Kevin Sellathamby including some comments by moi! Kevin notes that everything will have to fall in place for the Senators to make the playoffs, while I predict a 10th place finish. Also, is Jason Spezza similar to Sheldon Copper? Quite possibly! (Hell On Ice)
- NHL.com also has been previewing each team in its 30 teams in 30 days feature. They note that the Senators are getting younger, but wonder if they are getting better. They conclude that the Senators will have to overachieve to be a playoff club. (NHL.com)
- Senshot takes a look at Mika Zibanejad arriving three weeks early for camp, his jersey number choice, getting recognised in Ottawa and more. (Senshot)
- Senshot also looks at three reasons why the Senators will be better than last season. (Senshot)
- And yet more Senshot, they look at potential third line centre candidates. The list includes: Nick Foligno, Zack Smith, Stephane Da Costa, Jesse Winchester, Zenon Konopka and Colin Greening. (Senshot)
- An excellent article that argues for completely eliminating fighting from hockey. Couldn't agree more. (Winnipeg Free Press)
- Eye on the Sens previews a few more Bingo players: Eric Gryba [link], Jim O'Brien [link], and David Dziurzynski [link].
- A full-colour look at the Sens' rumoured heritage jersey. (The 6th Sens)
- Jared Crozier is very optimistic. He thinks the Sens will be better than the Carolina Hurricanes this season, and think there's a 50/50 chance that they could be better than the Buffalo Sabres. (SenShot)
- Relocation was much talked about over the weekend after The Business Journals tried to rank the top destinations for NHL franchise relocation. Riverside-San Bernardino topped the list. (The Business Journals)
- Wyshynski talked about the rankings, and pondered what kind of flaws in methodology led to ranking Atlanta as the 11th-best relocation destination. (Puck Daddy)