Well it is June 24! It's a big today for obvious reasons. C'est la Fête nationale du Québec! Oh right, it is also the NHL draft today. After months of speculation on the Senators hypothetical draft pick, we will finally find out tonight at 7 p.m. Eastern, 6 p.m. Central, only on TSN, Canada's Sports Leader!
What are my hopes for tonight? Well, I want forwards taken with both of the first two picks (preferably all five of the picks in the first two rounds). I also would be open to trading up using other picks, or players such as Nick Foligno or Chris Neil, though Neil is more of a deadline trade guy. My official baseless prediction for tonight is: we pick Mika Zibanejad if we don't trade up or we pick Gabriel Landeskog if we do trade up.
Here are today's links:
General Sens News
- Bryan Murray has made a few offers to trade up, but the five clubs above Ottawa haven't accepted. The asking price has apparently been the number six pick AND Erik Karlsson, which Murray thankfully declined. (Ottawa Citizen, Ottawa Sun)
- Since it is unlikely the Senators will draft Gabriel Landeskog without trading up, this has upset Landeskog's girlfriend, Rachel Jones, an Ottawa student. (Ottawa Citizen)
- Peter Raaymakers meanwhile was on a podcast on the Globe and Mail discussing the Senators new coaching staff, some potential free agent targets and of course the draft. Note, the first half of the podcast is with Scott Reynolds of the Edmonton Oilers' Copper & Blue blog. (Globe and Mail)
- Here is a profile of Mika Zibanejad, a player the Senators might well trade down for. (Senshot)
- Paul MacLean isn't a complete stranger to his new assistants, especially Mark Reeds. (Ottawa Citizen)
- The guys at the outdated named blog, analyse what they think will happen for the Senators at the draft, what they would like to see, and what they fantasize about happening. (Cory Clouston Fashion Review)
- A look at some of the European players in this year's draft, some of them more well known than others. (Puck Worlds)
Mock drafts and prospect profiles after the jump.