Well it is Friday! Even though this implies yesterday was Thursday, tomorrow is Saturday! Le woo hoo!
Here is my thought of the day. Now, as a long time supporter of Manchester United Football Club, the romantic in me can't help but compare their club of the early 1990s to our Ottawa Senators. They had several young players such as Gary Neville, Phil Neville, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, David Beckham all come into the side around the same time and win multiple titles. Now, this kind of repeated success is not possible in hockey, but with Erik Karlsson, Robin Lehner, David Rundblad, Jared Cowen, Bobby Butler, Jakob Silfverberg and our upcoming draft picks (and dare I say Gabriel Landeskog) and the other Binghamton players coming up around the same time, could these players grow together and lead us to the promised land? Like I said, the romantic in me likes to think so!
It's time for today's links, brought to you by Star Trek: The Next Generation, the official sci-fi series of the Silver Nuggets.
General Sens News
- After Robin Lehner, the biggest winners from Binghamton's Calder Cup win was us, Silver Seven Sens! As losers of the bet, the good people at the Minnesota Wild's Hockey Wilderness blog update their tag line to acknowledge our superiority. They also wrote this glorious article, surrendering to the sheer awesomeness of one King Robin Lehner, among others. (Hockey Wilderness)
- In true Ottawa Sun fashion, their front page says "Brennan: MacLean next Sens coach". This article is then opened with "Paul MacLean is going to be the next coach of the Senators." Then he follows and says he is not 100% sure. I guess I speculate on rumours all the time in the nuggets too, but that seemed like a misleading first line. Also, contrary to my hopes, I am not a journalist either. *sad* (Ottawa Sun)
- A blog named after Cory Clouston's clothing choices, presents its analysis of the coaching candidates, filled with plenty of awesome humour as always. May I suggest if Brennan is right, that they rename this blog to the Paul MacLean moustache review? (Cory Clouston Fashion Review)
- Bryan Murray thinks this is a draft year because, while there is no one like an Alexander Ovechkin, there are many quality players in the top ten. As someone picking at number six, it's probably better to have a few good players without anyone standing out too much. (Ottawa Senators)
- Bryan Murray admits that he would be willing to trade up his sixth overall pick. He also says Gabriel Landeskog and Jonathan Huberdeau would be ready to play in the NHL next season. I am not sure why the official Ottawa Senators website lists Landeskog as a centre though. I hope the scouting team is a bit more clued in. (Ottawa Senators)
More after the jump.
General Hockey News
- The SB Nation mock draft continues today. Yesterday Copper and Blue picked Adam Larsson and Mile High Hockey took Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. Today Litter Box Cats took Gabriel Landeskog. The Devils will pick later today. Tomorrow's first pick is the Islanders, followed by us at Silver Sevens! (SB Nation)
- Les Canadiens de Montreal signed Andrei Kostitsyn to a one-year contract extension worth $3.25 million. (TSN)
- The American TV ratings are down from last year as expected since they feature a Canadian team, but they are also the highest ratings featuring a Canadian team since 1994. (Yahoo!)