PHILADELPHIA, PA - APRIL 30: Chris Pronger #20 of the Philadelphia Flyers and Zdeno Chara #33 of the Boston Bruins battle in Game One of the Eastern Conference Semifinals during the 2011 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at the Wells Fargo Center on April 30, 2011 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Bruins defeated the Flyers 7-3. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)
The Washington Capitals may have fallen in a 2-0 hole last night, but they were spared further media scrutiny by other events in Washington. For what it is worth, the Capitals lost 3-2 in overtime despite Alexander Ovechkin once again coming up with late game heroics. It will be tough for the Capitals to come back now, as only the Montreal Canadiens seem to blow leads after winning games one and two on the road (2006 and 2011). Still, the Capitals have dominated the Lightning for long periods, outshooting them 65-46 in the first two games. Can Dwayne Roloson keep stealing wins for Tampa Bay?
In the day's other game, the San Jose Sharks and the Detroit Red Wings continued the snooze-fest that is round two of the Western Conference playoffs with a 2-1 Sharks win. In four games of the Western Conference playoffs, there have been a total of 10 goals in over 13 periods of hockey. No team has scored three goals in a game and only once has a team scored more than one goal in regulation.
Before I get to the links, I would ask each of you (well the Canadian ones anyway, the rest of you suck!) to please vote today, even if you make the wrong choice and don't vote for my party of choice. Click here to find out where to vote!
Here are today's links, brought to you by mangoes, the official fruit of the Silver Nuggets.
General Sens News
- Here is a comparison of Adam Larsson to his Skelleftea teammate and Senators prospect, David Rundblad, when they were the same age. There is a reason Larsson is expected to be a high pick. I would point out though, that Rundblad has progressed a lot since he was Larsson's age. (In Lou We Trust)
- Jason Spezza had a goal and an assist in Canada's 9-1 win over France. Stephane Da Costa did not register a point. (IIHF)
- The Binghamton Senators won't get any injured players back tonight for Game 4 except Barry Brust who will return to backup Robin Lehner. (Joy Lindsay)
- With Spokane facing elimination tonight, will Jared Cowen be sent to Binghamton to help their defence? (The 6th Sens)
More after the jump.
General Hockey News
- A Wayne Gretzky rookie card sold for $94,163 in an auction. (Yahoo!)
- The IIHF World Championships are getting nasty and it is not the good old Canadian boys from Kingston doing the damage. There were dangerous hits from Latvian, Slovenian and Russian players on the weekend. (Yahoo!)
- Three stars from last night: 1) Vincent Lecavalier, 2) Antti Niemi, 3) Alexander Ovechkin. Would Niemi be the unlikeliest back-to-back cup winning goaltender if the Sharks do win it all? (Yahoo!)