After no NHL games last night, today should be a pretty big day of hockey. First off, in one of the biggest hockey rivalries, and certainly the biggest in international hockey in my opinion, Canada takes on Russia in the IIHF World Championships Quarterfinal. Canada has been playing well, having gone undefeated so far, while Russia has been struggling and finished 4th in their group behind even Germany. Still, the Russians have Alexander Ovechkin and Ilya Kovalchuk on their rosters. I fully expect Canada to win based on recent results, but I wouldn't be shocked if the Russians flipped the switch against their biggest rivals.
The Detroit Red Wings and San Jose Sharks will conclude their series tonight in a game seven in San Jose. A Sharks loss would complete a disastrous collapse and only add to their list of playoff failures. The Sens never blew a 3-0 lead! Or a 3-1 lead! I think.
Oh and Binghamton also plays tonight! They will play the Charlotte Checkers in game one of their Eastern Conference Final.
Here are today's links, brought to you by Blackberry, the official smartphone of the Silver Nuggets. That's right, no mangoes today!
General Sens News
- TSN takes a look at what the Senators needs are for the offseason. It is generally pretty accurate, aside from the whole trading Alfredsson thing. Overall, a pretty good review of our needs though. (TSN)
- A list of some of the potential unrestricted free agents this year and how they would fit with the Senators. The list isn't pretty! If Murray insists on signing one, I would go for Brooks Laich, Tomas Fleischmann or Scottie Upshall. I would also be okay with getting no one. And Murray, please, no 2 years $10 million offer to Jaromir Jagr! (Cory Clouston Fashion Review)
- A series preview for the Binghamton Senators versus the Charlotte Checkers. (Press & Sun-Bulletin)
More after the jump.
General Hockey News
- The top ten playoff beards so far this season! (Yahoo!)
- Patrick Kane is being Patrick Kane again, which of course means being sleazy. If only he helped his country not finish eighth! (Yahoo!)
- According to Greg Brady at The Fan 590, an Atlanta Thrashers player was told by the club to expect an announcement about relocation. Nothing is official yet though of course. (Greg Brady)