The Ottawa Senators host the Philadelphia Flyers tonight in Ottawa's second last home game of the season. It is also Fan Appreciation night, so those of you going to the game tonight might get some free goodies!
In addition to the Sens game, the hated Maple Leafs will be eliminated if they fail to win before a shoot-out against the Washington Capitals. They will also be eliminated if the Buffalo Sabres manage to pick up a point tonight against Tampa Bay. Nashville can also officially end our hopes of a second lottery pick if they beat Atlanta tonight and Dallas loses to Columbus
Lastly, if my coughing has reached 20 days, am I dying?
Here are today's links:
- Game preview. (NHL.com, Sens Extra)
- Everyone predicts a loss tonight. There aren't too many players left, especially on defence. (Sens Extra)
- Craig Anderson will start. (Ottawa Senators)
- Cory Clouston audio regarding tonight's game. (Ottawa Senators)
General Sens News
- With Daniel Alfredsson and Sergei Gonchar already out, Erik Karlsson and Marek Svatos have also been ruled out for the season. Karlsson, however, is expected to put on the Tre Kronor and play for Sweden in the World Championships. (Sun)
- As previously mentioned by AlfieGirl, Jesse Winchester, having been hit in the face with a stick earlier this season, apologised to Clarke MacArthur for accidentally high sticking him. (Sun)
- Wayne Scanlan argues that the first overall doesn't matter because they don't win the Calder Trophy all the time. Assuming NHL careers last past their rookie season, there is nothing wrong with hoping for as high a pick as possible with only a week left. We've sat through this painful season, so it would be nice to win the lottery and get the first pick AND feel good about the existing prospects. Having said that, he is right that there is a good player to be had every where in the draft, especially in the top 5, so let's not get too down! (Citizen)
- As previously mentioned by Crooklyn Banks, the Senators have recalled Andre Benoit, Patrick Wiercioch and Roman Wick for tonight's game. (Citizen)
More after the jump.
General Hockey News
- This was a great article questioning why we value a two month tournament over a six month regular season. Maybe this is just the European football fan in me, but to me the fairest way to decide a champion is to have everyone play everyone else the same number of times a year and at the end, the team with the most points is the champion. Don't get me wrong, playoffs are very exciting and I love it and wouldn't want to change it. I just don't think it is the fairest way to declare a winner. (Yahoo!)
- The greatest fans in the world (HA!), the Montreal Canadiens fans, selected Carey Price as their player of the year after booing him in preseason. Most obnoxious fan base in hockey. (Yahoo!)