Marian Hossa: An Ottawa Senator draft pick AND a Stanley Cup winner. (Photo by Rich Lam/Getty Images)
Well, Peter's reign of nugget terror is over! Just kidding, big thanks to Peter for covering the nuggets for me while I was feeling lazy on the uber long weekend. But I have now returned to rant!
Last night, the Tampa Bay Lightning forced a Game 7 against the Pittsburgh Penguins with a 4-2 win. With that, the Washington Capitals are the only Eastern Conference team in the second round and the Eastern match-ups are a big toss up. Meanwhile, Dany Heatley and the San Jose Sharks clinched their first round series, with a 4-3 overtime win against the Los Angeles Kings. The Sharks winner was scored by Joe Thornton, who always scores a big goal in the playoffs.
Here are today's links, as always, brought to you by mangoes, the official fruit of the Silver Nuggets.
General Sens News
- Here is a case for having Marc Crawford as our next coach. Personally, as long as it is not Ken Hitchcock, I will be reasonably okay. I want someone that allows creativity and isn't too 'system' oriented. (Standard Freeholder)
- David Rundblad and Jakob Silfverberg will be playing for Sweden at the 2011 IIHF World Championships. Erik Karlsson misses out due to injury. (Copper and Blue)
- The Binghamton Senators open their second round series tomorrow night in Portland. Here is a series preview. (Silver Seven Sens)
- In case you haven't read it yet, here is a case for drafting Jonas Brodin from our favourite Swedish poster! (Henrik Larsson)
More after the jump.
There are three games tonight and they are all huge. The Vancouver Canucks look to avoid one of the greatest collapses in NHL history as they host the Chicago Blackhawks in Game 7 tonight. The Montreal Canadiens are also facing elimination, having blown a 2-0 series lead. Firefighters in Montreal are on standby. If the Habs should prevail tonight, Game 7 would be tomorrow night in Boston.
- 3) Boston Bruins at 6) Montreal Canadiens (7:00 p.m. on CBC, Boston leads 3-2)
- 7) Buffalo Sabres at 2) Philadelphia Flyers (7:30 p.m. on TSN, series tied 3-3)
- 8) Chicago Blackhawks at 1) Vancouver Canucks (10:00 p.m. on CBC, series tied 3-3)
Here are some other links:
- Now I may have complained that the Penguins get calls against the Senators in last year's series, but the Vancouver Canucks fans put together a 4 minute and 25 second clip of missed calls against the Hawks. Let's Go Hawks! Da da ta da da ta da da ta! Oh...wrong building. (Yahoo!)
- Chris Conner loses the puck on a penalty shot with the Penguins trailing 2-1. This is more funny than when Ilya Kovalchuk lost it because, I frakking hate the Penguins. So with that, as Nelson would say: HA! HA! (Yahoo!)
- Ray Emery is one of the three finalists for the Masterton Trophy. Good for you Ray! (Jeff Marek)