Well a forgettable 10/11 season is over for the Sens. What went wrong? You can bet on a summer full of debate on exactly that. So why not start now? Here's a few of my first impressions, and I'd like to hear yours!
1. Regin had one more point than Neil. Neil had twice as many goals as Regin. Yet many say Neil is overrated?
2. Sens went 11-7-1 after the trade deadline. At that pace over a season, they'd have 99 points which would put them in 6th place this season.
3. Clouston endured a full season of the media calling for his departure. Media got their cake (stories all year) and ate it too.
4. Anderson for Elliott saved Murray's job and might be one of his best trades ever. The only plausible explanation from the Av's side is that they weren't going to resign him and wanted to ensure a high draft pick at the expense of a team behind them.
5. Ottawa had a -58 goal differential this year. Of the regulars (>41 GP), Shannon had the best +/- (3), yet questions whether he has roster spot next year have been ubiquitous. He also tied Kovalev for 6th highest scoring (i.e. top 6) forward on the team.
6. Worst +/- on the team? #1 - Phillips (-34), #2 - Karlsson (-30), #3 - Kuba (-26). At first glance looks like D needs work, but I wonder how the #s would look if you took out soft goals allowed by elliott.
7. Best +/- among defensement? Carkner (even). Most question whether there's room for him next year?!
7. Foligno was 2nd in points among forwards, yet questions abound re where he fits (anyone have a problem with 2nd or 3rd line?)
8. Noone played all 82 games this season. Wonder who the Sens' "iron man" is at this point?
Your observations? Thoughts??