OTTAWA, CANADA - MARCH 25: Marcus Johansson #90 of the Washington Capitals tries to cut inside with the puck against Erik Karlsson #65 of the Ottawa Senators during a game at Scotiabank Place on March 25, 2011 in Ottawa, Canada. (Photo by Phillip MacCallum/Getty Images)
The Ottawa Senators were officially eliminated from playoff contention Friday night after a 4-2 win by the Buffalo Sabres over the Florida Panthers. The Senators did manage to win 2-0 against the Washington Capitals, previously winners of 11 out of 12. The game before, they ended a 5 game winning streak by the New York Rangers and last week beat the seemingly unstoppable New Jersey Devils.
The Senators don't play today, but play on Sunday afternoon against the Atlanta Thrashers. Daniel Alfredsson, son of Hasse, King of Ottawa, Defender of the Senators, may God bless him, is expected to travel with the team.
Here are today's links:
- Game recap. (Sun, Citizen)
- Stats from last night via NHL.com (Boxscore, Game Summary, Event Summary, Faceoff report, Play by play, Ice Time and Shifts, Shot report)
- Post-game video with Cory Clouston, Milan Michalek and Colin Greening. (Ottawa Senators)
General Sens News
- Erik Karlsson is really enjoying the heavy workload given to him by Cory Clouston. Over the last 5 games, Karlsson has been a plus in every game, averaging 29:13 of ice time a game, with 4 points and a +7 rating. The Senators went 4-1 in those games. (Ottawa Senators)
- Craig Anderson wasn't the only player in the organisation to get a shutout last night. Robin Lehner returned from injury to make 31 saves in a 3-0 shutout win against the AHL's top club. Anderson also made 31 saves. (Pressconnects.com)
- Craig Anderson was named first star on Puck Daddy last night. (Yahoo!)
- Mike Brodeur has been sent back to Binghamton, which presumably means that Curtis McElhinney should return tomorrow. (Ottawa Senators)
- Pascal Leclaire feels he can return to the NHL next season. (Citizen)
- David Rundblad's Skellefteå won 2-1 in overtime today to avoid falling into a 3-0 hole. Rundblad played 25:38, had no points, one shot and three hits. (Hockeyligan.se)
- Also, since I hijacked her song thread last time. Here is a link to Nikki's (Peter's girlfriend) song about the Senators elimination. May I get off her list. (Silver Seven Sens)
More after the jump.
General Hockey News
- Here is an awesome stat. Marc-Andre Fleury has never allowed a goal on March 25 in his professional career. After last night's shutout win, he has played four games on March 25, faced 112 shots and stopped all 112 of them. (Yahoo!)
- What would hockey be like if we didn't hate teams? Ryan Lambert takes a look. (Yahoo!)