In the last few weeks, Murray has
- Traded for and then signed a goaltender to a long-term deal
- Re-signed Chris Phillips to three more years
- Stated multiple times that he wants to draft a player who can step in right away
- Had his owner go on the radio and say that this team might only be out of the playoffs for a year
- Stated that at least one and probably two of the team's defensive prospects will play for the team - and burn a year on his ELC - next season
- Talked about signing a top six forward on the FA market or trading for someone
- Other than trading Fisher and Kelly, acted exactly how he's acted for the last four seasons
I'm getting a little worried that this isn't a real rebuild anymore, and that Ottawa still thinks it can compete. I'm reminded of when Clouston first took over the team, and when Regin and Foligno looked good in the playoffs last season, and there was all of this optimism for next year. It's just not enough when you look at the kind of depth teams that really, actually rebuilt have. I don't really want a team like Carolina, who has some really exciting young forwards, some decent stars, and still sort of stink. I think the aim should be to have a team like Washington.
Anyway....draft day can't get here fast enough.