The Ottawa Senators won three consecutive games for the first time in more than four months with a 2-1 win over the Tampa Bay Lightning. It was also the third straight game the Senators have won 2-1 and the third straight game the Senators have not allowed a goal in the first two periods. The Senators are now 7-3 in their ten last games, which happens to coincide with the Brian Elliott trade. Between December 26 and until Elliott got traded, Ottawa won one game. Since Elliott got traded, Colorado has won one game.
Here are today's links:
- Game recap. (Sun, Citizen)
- Stats from last night via NHL.com (Boxscore, Game Summary, Event Summary, Faceoff report, Play by play, Ice Time and Shifts, Shot report)
- Cory Clouston audio after the game. (Ottawa Senators)
- Curtis McElhinney audio after the game. (Ottawa Senators)
- Bobby Butler audio after the game. (Ottawa Senators)
General Sens News
- Cory Clouston did not give Erik Karlsson or Erik Condra a chance to complete their first NHL hat tricks with empty net goals against New Jersey or Florida. According to one (anonymous) league executive, Clouston simply does not notice. Meanwhile, Erik Karlsson's 10 shot-2 goal performance was in front of Swedish scouts for the World Championship. (Sun)
- As mentioned yesterday, the Senators signed Ottawa native Mark Borowiecki. Allen Panzeri takes a look. (Citizen)
- David Rundblad had an assist but was -2 as his Skelleftea club lost 4-3 in overtime. They now trail 2-1 in the best of seven series. Jakob Silfverberg's Brynas club won 4-3 in over time instead, they now trail 2-1 as well. (Hockeyligan.se)
More after the jump.
General Hockey News
- A study at Simon Fraser University shows that late round draft picks have almost the same chance of success as mid-round picks. There was also almost no difference in success between second and third rounders. First rounders, as expected, have a much higher rate of success. (Citizen)
- Drew Doughty was hit just like Max Pacioretty was. Doughty wasn't hurt though. This is why there aren't people after R.J. Umberger with pitchforks like they are after poor Zdeno Chara. (Yahoo!)