Brian Burke has said he's going to deal a little more as a buyer this week, and specifically that he has interest in Dustin Penner.
Despite Bryan Murray's seeming directive to clean up and set the table with draft picks for the next GM, I wonder whether he shouldn't take a look at Penner as well. Here's the case:
Why should the Sens look at him?:
- His stats are reasonable as a 1st liner/excellent for a 2nd line, with a salary in line for that spot
- He would be #1 on the team in points and goals at this point
- He'd be #1 in size (currently Carkner is the biggest, Penner is same height but 10 lbs heavier)
- He wouldn't be on the Leafs
- He's got a little *cough* playoff experience :(
I think there's a top-6 spot for him next year, given that Kovalev is most likely going to be shipped out soon (and won't be back) and none of the rookies other than Butler look ready to play in the top 6:
Michalek - Spezza - Butler
Penner - Regin - Alfredsson
Foligno - Winchester - Neil
Shannon - Smith - (next best prospect)
What do you think?
Should Bryan Murray trade for Dustin Penner by the deadline?
Heck yeah, let's get this done! Pay whatever it takes to keep him off the Leafs! (4 votes)
Murray should make a bid without selling the farm, and risk having him be the guy that falls on Anderson and Lehner next year if he goes to the Leafs (34 votes)
Pshah - who's Penner? I eat Paneer for supper... no trade! (16 votes)
54 total votes