I'm live here outside the Skelleftea Kraft Arena right before Skelleftea AIK plays HV71. It's pretty much a tailgate part going on here, except it's with kids and our wives/girlfriends/acquaintances. In about 2 hours we're heading on in to watch "Skells" (our English nickname for the team) play Andre Petersson and co. I'll have reactions on that later next week, but first some thoughts on the Senators tonight.
- First off, I was able to see the highlights on Thursday's first win. Clearly the Senators were able to win that because of their brute strength and ability to get into the play. Mikey Fisher should be given a lot of credit, as his play, including the fluke goal in the first brought them to victory. Also feel sorry for Pascal Leclaire, starting to believe he is the unluckiest player to ever play in the NHL. Big props to Brian Elliott though, coming in and standing on his head.
- Back on Elliott, I'm I the only one who prefers him over Leclaire? For me, Ells is a better positional goalie, and more likely to keep you in the game (although Game Five prvoes that wrong to some degree). His glove save is levels better than any other goalie the Sens have had, therefore I'd like to see him succeed now in Pazzy's injury. No disrespect to Leclaire though, I was one of those who thought he would be our saviour in the beginning of last season. Which ever one we re-sign, it'll be interesting.
- Brian Lee, finally playing good. Woah, I'm giving support to two Brian's today. Either way, Lee was the best defenseman for me against Carolina. He was able to help Erik Karlsson make smart plays, and I think he really was the reason Michalek-Spezza-Alfredsson were able to go down the ice on the second goal. This may be faint optimism, but could he be the Andy Sutton to Erik Karlsson, like last season? Hope, it's great, but sucks also if it doesn't work out.
- To win tonight, they'll have to control the play early and often, and take the ass Montreal crowd out of it. Of course, that is hard to do. Personally, I'd like to see Jarkko Ruutu pull a Mike Milbury and beat the living shit out of the OLE OLE OLE's. No suspension possible, right, RIGHT?!. Although, Mike Cammalleri is on my fantasy team...
- More on my fantasy team. I have been offered Jay Bouwmeester and David Booth for Braydon Coburn and Jakub Voracek. I was about to, but decided to ask you Sens faithful before. Because you know, Senators fans give the best advice, especially the 500+ that are here in Sweden. Stupid Red Wings.
This worked last time, and they won. So...GO SENS GO!!! KICK SOME CANADIEN ASS!!!